Thursday, September 24, 2015

What's Up With All The Recipe Silence?


For those of you who have been watching the blog for some time now, you may have noticed a large shift in the way I post my recipes.  Specifically from detailed information like Malster, Lovibond, Pounds/Ounces and percentages of malts used, detailed hop schedules, and yeast information to a generic format, X malts, Y hops, and vague yeast info.  And you might be asking yourself why is all the silence from End of Silence?  I want to assure you that it is not that I think my recipes are somehow so awesome that I would never want to share them.  It is also not a punk move to keep homebrewers in the dark to my recipe information like Stone with Arrogant Bastard.  It is for one honest reason... I am opening a brewery, but I am still a ways out with fundraising and such.  I would hate to broadcast my recipes and yeasts and temps and information for everyone to see and have someone locally start making my beers and selling them before I can launch.  It would suck to put all of the effort and thought into my beers and the brewery and have someone snatch it out from under me before we were able to see our dreams come to fruition.  This is the only reason why I am keeping my recipes generic and also why my website doesn't have any information about the vision we have for the brewery.  I feel like we will be bringing something amazing and unique in terms of beers and vision to the area, and I would hate to see it end up being done half-hearted by another brewer who has money to launch before us or an existing brewer who wants to take out the competition before it even starts competing.  Craft Beer has existed from the beginning with an ethos of camaraderie, but it is also a business, and as we have seen with recent buy outs, "partnerships", and petty lawsuits, the business of beer is becoming more and more cut throat.

If you happen to have questions about timings, amounts, yeasts, etc., feel free to shoot me an email and we might be able to discuss a little more details out of view of the entire web.

Let the Yeast Speak!

No comments:

Post a Comment