Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Brewery Trial Recipe - Release The Panic: IPA 3.0

As I continue to move forward with test batches for the brewery it is becoming more and more evident how difficult it can be to fully dial in a homebrew system.  Humidity, temperature, wind, all play a role in the temperature of the grains, the mash, the runnings, and impact boil off rates.  My efficiency is fairly dialed in, but sometimes it drops a few percent which impacts the beer.  The last time I brewed this recipe I got 7.5% ABV instead of the intended 7.0% For this batch my numbers were much closer to where I wanted them.  11.5 gallons of wort, 2 full corny kegs, 80 IBUs, and 7.2 ABV (even though I was still shooting for 7.0%).  For this iteration of the flagship IPA, Release the Panic, I upped each of the hops, especially the Columbus to get a little more resin in there to play with the tropical notes.  I also upped the IBUs a little more to try to get some bitterness past the yeast as it down plays the IBUs a lot.  I am also keeping this keg at a little higher temp than the previous as it helps to make the aromas pop to serve it a little warmer, and it helps keep the haze in the beer a bit instead of dropping it crystal clear taking precious hop oils to the bottom with the yeast and protein particles.


NAME: Release the Panic
STYLE: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
SIZE: 11.5 gallons
OG: 14.33*P
FG: 1.29*P
ABV: 7.2%
SRM: 8
IBU: 80 (Modified Tinseth)

Efficeincy: 89%

Grain Bill:
Pale Ale Malt, Vienna Malt, Flaked Oats, Caramalt 30/37, Dememera Sugar

Hop Bill:
Magnum, Meridian, Chinook, CTZ, Nugget

Yeast:
House juicy, 77*F

Water:
Crisp, dry, bitter

Extras:
None.

No comments:

Post a Comment